Egypt and Revolution: Sampsonia Way’s Coverage from 2011

by Eoin Koepfinger    /  January 25, 2012  / 1 Comment

Today, January 25 marks the one-year anniversary of the “Day of Revolt,” the series of protests against Hosni Mubarak’s government that marked the start of the 2011 Egyptian Revolution. Mubarak resigned last February and is now standing trial against separate charges of corruption and ordering security forces to kill over 800 protesters. At the same time, Egypt is holding its first parliamentary elections since the military government took control in the president’s absence, and over 1,000 political prisoners have been released or pardoned this week, including blogger Maikel Nabil.

Despite these seemingly positive developments, large-scale protests in Tahrir Square have continued, with protesters, activists, reporters, bloggers, and dissidents alike remaining skeptical about Egypt’s political future.

Here Sampsonia Way presents a slide show of the highlights from our 2011 coverage of the Egyptian Revolution. This includes interviews with journalists, bloggers, and writers, as well as personal statements from imprisoned activists, among other articles.

Read “Freedom,” a short story by Egyptian writer and columnist Hamdy El Gazarr, a Sampsonia Way Exclusive

About the Author

Eoin Koepfinger graduated from the University of Pittsburgh in 2011 with a B.A. in film studies and fiction writing. In 2010, he was first place winner of the University of Pittsburgh's Film Studies Undergraduate Writing Award for the essay "The War Game: Human Tragedy and Institutional Criticism." While an undergraduate, he also contributed fiction, non-fiction, and poetry to the student-run magazine The Original, hosted a weekly radio show at WPTS-FM, and presided as vice president of a film screening group.

View all articles by Eoin Koepfinger

One Comment on "Egypt and Revolution: Sampsonia Way’s Coverage from 2011"

1. Bridget January 27, 2012 at 3:59 pm ·

It’s a precious thing to hear the words of Egyptians talking about their hard-fought struggle which inspired the world. For me, the voices of artists are especially precious since they add poetry to the lives and ideas of the revolutionaries. Thank you for ‘Freedom’.